In 2018 the Regional administration of Friuli Venezia Giulia established the “Carsiana” interdisciplinary work group, in order to provide technical-scientific support for the definition of a set of operational guidelines useful for the management of the Garden. The working group has carried out a technical-scientific function and was necessary to guarantee homogeneity and continuity in the management of the Garden, from a strictly naturalistic point of view as well.
The Working Group carried out the functions of that Scientific Committee that had been firmly requested by Gioitti, founder and first owner of Carsiana, so much so that it included it as a precondition for the sale of the Garden to the Province (of Trieste).
At present, the Working Group has not been formally renewed since all the necessary skills are present within the Biodiversity Service of the Central Management of Agri-food, Forest and Fish Resources (of the Region). The technical staff in charge of following the garden consists of of Giuliana Renzi, Michela Tomasella and Marco Valecic. The activities carried out by the Biodiversity Service can be summarized as follows:
- the continual verification of the botanical collections
- the development of project proposals for extraordinary maintenance interventions aimed at the sustainable remodeling of the Garden, with particular attention to the use of the water resources, the use of phytosanitary techniques (only those involving biological control are allowed) and for the production of its own compost
- the setting out of specific management guidelines for each habitat represented in the Garden and operational indications for the maintenance and management with a view to a historical-philological restoration of the Garden
- the drawing up of guidelines and criteria for updating the functions of the Garden, in accordance with the provisions of the Action Plan for Botanic Gardens in the European Union prepared by Cheney et al. (2000) for European Botanic Gardens Consortium
- the development of guidelines and criteria for educational and interpretative activities
From 19th December 2018 the management service of Carsiana has been delegated to the Rogos Cooperative which carries out garden maintenance activities, connected to the garden’s use, its interpretation and promotion.